Sunday, December 31, 2006

Seizures, Dilantin and a move in the new year

Well its been over 2 months since a post, and lots of things have happened.

A few major things, is that mom did have a cognitive psych eval and the results are not favorable for her. The Dr. basically stated she will need 24/7 supervision the rest of her days, at least for safety's sake, and doesn't expect her to get ever get much better than she is now. What this means is changes in her life that were inevitable, are now coming faster. While her health is stable, she can no longer be alone and feed or clean her self properly.

The second thing that has occurred, is that mom had a seizure. I guess this is common post stroke victims, but another strike against her. She is now in Dilantin and it really threw her for a loop. She was to tired or un-motivated to get up and do anything, including going to the bathroom, which was messy for a week or so. The Dr. has cut back the dosage and she seems to be getting better again.

Sadly and lastly, the New year brings resolutions and changes. I have decided that this kind of work is to much for one person to do, and I have a found an assisted living place for mom to get the care she needs, allowing her and I to have more than a caregiver relationship. Mom will be moving to a wonderful Adult Care Center in Monroe, where she can have friends and family visit her anytime, 24/7. She will also get rehab as needed, meals, laundry and snacks all inclusive. The facility can only hold 20 folks so mom will get a double room with no roommate at a single price.

This is a hard decision for me, but the support of family and friends is helping me realize she needs more than I can give her, while also letting me move on in life.

I hope the New Year brings you joy as it will for mom and I, both happy and living life as much as we possibly can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
thanks so much for the update. When you get a chance could you please let me or my mom (Ann Morich) know where your mom will be? My sister lives in Monroe so we are familar with the area. Would love to be able to visit your mom. Thanks for keeping us up to date. God bless you for taking such good care of your mom.
Paula Lagerstrom
plmorich@yahoo.com
313-791-8779